The goal of my research work in sustainability assessment is to incorporate the concept of sustainability into engineering design. To that end, I would like to have students who do research work with me learn:
- What sustainability is and how it is different from “green engineering”
- How sustainability can be measured and improved
- What makes a product, process, or company sustainable
- How processes can be designed or modified to make them better for people and the environment
- What fuzzy logic is and how it can be used to evaluate sustainability
Ideally the work that students do is a relevant and interesting example of a given company or industry’s impact on people and the environment. For a list of ongoing projects, click here.